Local Matters Reflective Writing
I don't resonate with the claim "unpromising boys/promising girls", however, I do think that either teachers or students tend to categorize students according to their social background, thus inherited social behavior. As a Chinese immigrant and studying in the BEd program, the feeling of being an "outcast" was prevalent at the beginning. I realize that there is an urgency for me, not only to improve upon the language skills required by the program, but also to understand the theoretic teaching practice under the Canadian cultural context. When I present myself in the classroom, my social identity determines who I am as a teacher. The way I talk, the accent I bear, and the thinking I have could/would never be the same as those Canadian raised teachers. However, my experience and background also give me an advantage over others. I understand better about my students, especially students from other social background. I am more willing to humble myself and listen to their voices. They don't see me as a "perfect" authoritative figure in the classroom, but someone who is easy to connect to.
I resonates with one line in the side note provided by Dr. Mati. She wrote" I can trace the development of values that drew me to the "figured world" of educators who prioritize the child over the curriculum, to my personal experiences of childhood trauma and loss". I truly believe that teaching is not all about the materials I deliver, but more about caring the students' personal well-being.
Thank you for your personal insights in this post - you have demonstrated your caring, and your empathy for students who might feel like outsiders trying to make sense of where they fit within their school community. I appreciate that you have used your experience - including the challenges you have faced - as strengths through which you can more deeply understand and support your students. This is wonderful -
ReplyDelete